De Jongh called up by
Springboks to replace Pietersen
sarugby.net 08 Aug 2012 Photosport
The 24-year-old De Jongh made his Springbok debut against Wales in 2010 and has 10 Test caps to his name, the last coming at the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand last year.
“We decided to pick Juan as he provides midfield cover, an area where we are perhaps a bit thin now that JP is out,” said Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer.
“JP was going to provide cover for us at outside centre, while JJ Engelbrecht and Francois Hougaard can also be used on the wing, especially as Bjorn Basson is out for another six weeks.
“Losing JP is obviously a massive blow as he’s been playing some superb rugby lately, but Juan has also been in good form for the DHL Stormers and was one of the unlucky players to miss out on initial selection.
“It’s great to have Juan involved as he brings new energy with him. This call-up just shows again that no player is ever completely out of the equation.”
De Jongh, who is based in Cape Town, had his first session with the Springboks on Monday afternoon.
Most popular News:
Kriel could shift to fullback for Boks04.Aug.2015
Retallick primed for physical Australian pack04.Aug.2015
All Blacks not prepared to loose Bledisloe grip04.Aug.2015
Evans says mental strength needed to beat All Blacks03.Aug.2015
Preview: Taranaki aware they won't slip under the radar03.Aug.2015
Carter's work ethic means there is no let up03.Aug.2015