Auckland Storm win Women's Provincial Championship     28 Oct 2012

It was their fifth consecutive title, built on an impressive forward display and a solid first half performance.

From the outset it was obvious the Storm were keen to play with territory, which was evident as first five-eighths Bella Milo sent the ball deep into Canterbury’s half whenever she had the chance.

A strong line-out ensured the Storm won the line out ball against the throw and while the Canterbury defence looked to hold up it was 16-year-old Onjeurlina Leiataua that bust through for the try and the first points of the match.

Captain Emma Jensen was not successful with the conversion but slotted a penalty moments later to take the early lead to 8 nil.

Storm forwards Rawinia Everitt and Aroha Savage proved difficult to stop on attack, with immensely physical runs on attack that consistently broke the defensive line.

Everitt was on the end of a nifty chip kick from Milo and found herself in open space as she raced towards the try line.

An offload to Karina Stowers who showed quick hands out to Marama Davis before passing to Jade Le Pesq to score, was the Storm’s second and most impressive try of the match.

The Storm were just as strong on defence as they were on attack, making it hard for Canterbury to get into the game.

When Canterbury was penalised for not releasing the tackled player Milo took a quick tap and quick hands saw fullback Hazel Tubic in for the points.

Savage was rewarded for her hard work with a try on the stroke of halftime, the Storm heading to the sheds with a commanding 27 nil half time lead.

Milo opened the second half with a drop goal to pull the lead out to 30 points before Canterbury finally put together some solid passages of play.

Despite this it was the Storm that were next to score, flanker Lydia Crossman powering over for a try and taking the lead out to 35-0.

Canterbury got on the scoreboard late in the game, with tries to Lucy Ryan and Kendra Cocksedge but it was too little too late, Tubic converting a late penalty, the final score 38-12.