England edge Wallabies

Getty Images     03 Nov 2013     Getty Images

Second-half tries from captain Chris Robshaw and Owen Farrell wiped out the visitors' 13-6 half-time advantage and handed England an impressive victory.

Farrell struggled with the boot in the first half, missing three penalties, and the Wallabies seized the initiative before the interval.

Stuart Lancaster's men duly responded after the break, though, with Robshaw and Farrell crossing in the first 20 minutes before the hosts defended well in the dying stages.

Farrell was on target as early as the third minute, kicking England in front, but Quade Cooper produced a quick response for Australia.

Cooper – promoted to vice-captain during the week in a leadership shake-up that saw Ben Mowen assume the captaincy and James Horwill and Will Genia stripped of their duties – was regularly involved in the early stages but England gradually began to dominate.

Australia continually gave away penalties in response to England's pressure, but were thankful for the inaccuracy of Farrell, and although he finally kicked a second penalty – at his fifth attempt – the hosts' lead was short-lived.

Cooper's excellent pass released Israel Folau down the left, and he beat Chris Ashton to start an attacking move that would finish with Matt Toomua.

Toomua went past Billy Twelvetrees to score, and Cooper converted the try, before adding another penalty as Australia claimed a seven-point lead at the break.

The Wallabies wasted a chance to go 10 points in front shortly after half-time, when Cooper missed a penalty, and England quickly hit back.

Genia's kick was charged down by Mako Vunipola, leading to Robshaw's penalty, and Farrell added the extras to tie the game at 13-13 after 50 minutes.

Farrell crossed just nine minutes later, beating Stephen Moore and Mowen to score, and his conversion gave England a seven-point lead.

Australia battled valiantly for a late try but England defended well, keeping them at bay to post a victory ahead of meetings against Argentina and world champions New Zealand later this month.