Investec Super Rugby Cheer Guide - Round 19
Jack Sergent-Shadbolt 12 Jul 2018 Getty Images
QUICK TAP: FIVE THINGS TO LOOK FORWARD TO IN ROUND 19
The only position to change last weekend was the Waratahs going to second overall ahead of the Lions. Here’s who to cheer for this weekend:
1. Crusaders: 58 (Competition Points)
2. Waratahs: 44
3. Lions: 41
4. Hurricanes: 50
5. Chiefs: 45
6. Highlanders: 40
7. Jaguares: 38
8. Rebels: 35
Here’s what would happen based on the current placings:
• The Crusaders would take on the Rebels in Christchurch
• The Chiefs would head back to Wellington to take on the Hurricanes again
• The Waratahs would entertain the Jaguares in Sydney
• The Lions would host the Highlanders in Johannesburg
But what could happen is…
• The Crusaders could still face either the Jaguares or the Rebels depending on who finishes eighth.
• The Jaguares could still finish third and make the sixth place side travel to Buenos Aires.
• It could be the Chiefs hosting the Hurricanes, not the other way around depending on who finishes fourth.
• The Highlanders are a slim mathematical chance of finishing fifth and going to play in Wellington for a spot in the semifinals
If teams are tied on competition points, here’s how it’s decided:
a) Most wins from all matches
b) Greatest points-difference
c) Most tries from all matches
d) Greatest tries-difference
e) Coin toss
EXCLUSIVE COLUMN | How do you beat @crusadersrugby? @kenj0119 tries to crack the code and looks ahead to this weekend's action in her latest column.So what do I need to know?
?? https://t.co/lyYjsEX4AZ pic.twitter.com/uDxfi4ESLp— Super Rugby (@SuperRugbyNZ) July 10, 2018
• If the Lions beat the Bulls they’ll win the South African Conference and be ranked either second or third depending on how the Waratahs go.
• The Waratahs are guaranteed to win the Australian Conference and will be ranked either second or third for the playoffs. If the Waratahs beat the Brumbies they will be ranked second regardless of the results from the two matches in South Africa.
• The Brumbies can finish eighth if they win with a bonus point, the Rebels lose without a bonus point, and the Sharks lose.
• If the Highlanders win with a bonus point and the Chiefs lose without one, they will need to make up +105 points difference to finish fifth. If they lose along with the Lions and the Jaguares win the Highlanders could come seventh.
• The Sharks will need to beat the Jaguares and the Rebels lose without a bonus point to make the finals series and be ranked eighth. This would of course mean they’d play the Crusaders the following week in Christchurch.
• The Chiefs need to beat the Hurricanes by 23 points and grab a bonus point if they’re to take fourth place.
So, who do I support this weekend?
Blues Supporters: The finals may not be within your reach but there’s still a great opportunity for an upset win against the top of the table this Saturday night. Cheer hard for your ever-improving team as Jerome takes the field for last time. Don’t forget to cheer on the other kiwi teams in action this weekend as they fight for good places in the top eight.
Crusaders Supporters: The Crusaders will finish top of the table and will be ranked at number one for the finals series regardless of what happens this weekend. This means that they wouldn't have to travel again in 2018. Fans can kick back, relax and watch the other teams slug it out for spots, and of course cheer on their boys to finish the regular season on a high against the Blues.
Finals Series Ranking: Only 1st.
Chiefs Supporters: A simple equation for you: A bonus point win against the hurricanes by 23 points or more and you’ll secure a home quarterfinal. If the Chiefs lose with a bonus point they will be guaranteed to finish fifth and play the Hurricanes again the following week. Cheer hard for a big win and a chance to host the Hurricanes at FMG Stadium Waikato again in the quarterfinals.
Finals Series Ranking: Only #5, #4 or 6th. They cannot finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, or 8th.
It’s all about the number 2??3?? for @ChiefsRugby vs @Hurricanesrugby on Friday. If they win by 23 points with a bonus point the Chiefs will return home to Hamilton for a playoff! #CHIvHUR pic.twitter.com/S6puyZmwn0— Super Rugby (@SuperRugbyNZ) July 11, 2018Highlanders Supporters: If the Chiefs lose without a bonus point then you will have a chance of leap frogging the Chiefs – but it will take a huge effort. Your points difference is currently 105 points behind the Chiefs. So if the Chiefs concede a big loss to the Hurricanes you could be in with a chance to move up the ladder and avoid a playoff outside of New Zealand. Otherwise a comfortable win will see you take out sixth position. If the Rebels win with a bonus point, both teams will finish on 40 points with the Highlanders ahead on overall wins. The long and short of it is to win and win big.
Finals Series Ranking: 5th, 6th or 7th. They cannot finish 8th.
Hurricanes Supporters: All you need is a single bonus point against the Chiefs to finish fourth. To secure that home berth the defence will have to be strong because the Chiefs are an outside chance to take that coveted fourth position. Tune in to Sky Sport on Friday and to cheer to the end of another great regular season from your team.
Finals Series Ranking: 4th or 5th
D - FENCE! That’s the focus for the @Highlanders ahead of this weekend’s clash with the Rebels.
? 5.15pm, Saturday 14 July
??? Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
?? #HIGvREB pic.twitter.com/tW5Jczan2e— Super Rugby (@SuperRugbyNZ) July 11, 2018