Carter surprised by success
Sportal.co.nz 27 Nov 2008 Gettys Images
Lucrative contracts offered by European clubs have continued to weaken New Zealand's player pool and there are concerns it could deteriorate further.
But the All Blacks have overcome the departures with astonishing ease, going on to win the Philips Tri Nations after enduring a difficult start to the competition.
Victory over England at Twickenham on Saturday would conclude their third successful clean sweep of the home unions and complete the healing process following last year's shock quarter-final exit from the World Cup.
"I'm definitely surprised at how well the team has coped with the players moving overseas. For a new-look side it has been great," said Carter.
"We had our backs against the wall with two losses early on in the Tri Nations but we fought back and won the title, which was superb.
"Hopefully we can keep working hard and get over that final hurdle against England. It would be a very successful year if we did that.
"Losing so many players was a little bit daunting but there was excitement over the guys who were coming through."
Only New Zealand could be robbed of virtually an entire Test XV yet still dominate Test rugby.
Scotland, Ireland and Wales have all been swept aside and it would take an upset of epic proportions for Martin Johnson's troubled England to deny a grand slam.
Carter was also part of the victorious 2005 squad and the star No.10 believes a repeat would crown a superb season.
"Winning would be huge, going unbeaten on tour has been a real goal that we have been working towards," he said.
"It would be good to be involved in an All Blacks side that has won two grand slams. To do that again would mean a lot to me.
"We are not trying to build things up because what happened at the World Cup was a bit of a disappointment.
"It would mean a lot for this team because it is quite a different side to what we had last year.
"Winning the Tri Nations was a great step for us and this would top off a great season."
Hopes of seeing Carter duel with Danny Cipriani for the first time were dashed yesterday when England axed its first five-eighth and reinstated Toby Flood.
Cipriani's celebrity status has received plenty of attention and Carter, who starts a six-month sabbatical with Perpignan next month after agreeing a contract reported to be worth £30,000 a game, admits striking a balance is crucial.
"It would have been good coming up against a young up-and-coming talent, but it's not to be," he said.
"There is a lot more media attention in the UK, I guess we are quite lucky in New Zealand.
"While everyone is passionate about rugby in New Zealand they are keen to leave you alone off the field. Balance is very important.
"It's something I pride myself on. When I'm on the training pitch, in team meetings and playing, 100 percent of my focus is on that. And I always give 100 percent."
Most popular News:
All Blacks selection round table: The loose forwards21.Dec.2014
Black Ferns gain automatic qualification into 2017 World Cup20.Dec.2014
Reds confirm Ballymore pre-season against Crusaders20.Dec.2014
Barbarians confirm 125th birthday clash with Argentina19.Dec.2014
Carter to leave New Zealand Rugby at end of 201518.Dec.2014
New Zealand Rugby mourns the loss of Jack Hazlett17.Dec.2014