All Blacks and Chiefs up for New Zealand's favourite sporting moment
halberg.co.nz and James Mortimer 13 Jan 2014 Getty Images
Rugby, golf, basketball, yachting, motorsport, rugby league and softball all feature in the list of sporting moments from 2013. The award gives the New Zealand public a chance to vote for the ‘country’s most exciting, remarkable, or compelling sporting moment, game or series in 2013’.
The Chiefs winning back to back Super Rugby titles, All Black Ryan Crotty’s last gasp try against Ireland, and the World Champions stunning win at Ellis Park over the Springboks are the nominated rugby moments.
Kiwi sports fans can vote for their choice of 'New Zealand's Favourite Sporting Moment’ once a day by text message or online through the SKY Sport and Radio Sport websites. The award winner will be announced at the 51st Halberg Awards on February 13 at Vector Arena in Auckland.
Halberg Disability Sport Foundation CEO Geoff Burgess says New Zealand’s Favourite Sporting Moment is all about Kiwis having their say.
“This award gives sports fans the opportunity to honour the athletes and teams who created the defining sports highlights of 2013. The finalists list features some memorable moments which captured the nation’s attention and passion for sport,” says Burgess.
The finalists were selected by a panel of media representatives who compiled the list of great sporting moments from 2013 for the public to vote on.
The full list of 2013 New Zealand’s Favourite Sporting Moment finalists are:
1. The New Zealand Black Sox winning the Softball World Championship
2. The Breakers winning their third straight Australian National Basketball League Championship
3. Steven Adams being drafted by the Oklahoma City Thunder in the NBA draft lottery
4. The Chiefs winning back to back Super Rugby titles
5. Team New Zealand nearly capsizing in Race 9 of the America's Cup
6. The All Blacks recording an epic test victory over South Africa at Ellis Park
7. Golfer Lydia Ko turns professional at just 16 years of age
8. Scott Dixon winning the 2013 IndyCar title
9. Shaun Johnson’s last minute try that helped the Kiwis beat England in the Rugby League World Cup semi final
10. Ryan Crotty's last-gasp try against Ireland which secured the All Blacks perfect season.
To check out the video, click here.
How to vote:
Voting is now open for the New Zealand’s Favourite Sporting Moment award. You can vote once a day from now until 9.00pm on Thursday, February 13, 2014.
Vote at www.skysport.co.nz or www.radiosport.co.nz or www.sportingmoments.co.nz
2. Or text your Favourite Sporting Moment’s unique code to 455:
1. Black Sox txt Sm1 to 455
2. Breakers txt Sm2 to 455
3. Steven Adams txt Sm3 to 455
4. Chiefs txt Sm4 to 455
5. Team New Zealand txt Sm5 to 455
6. All Blacks defeat South Africa at Ellis Park txt Sm6 to 455
7. Lydia Ko txt Sm7 to 455
8. Scott Dixon txt Sm8 to 455
9. Kiwis Shaun Johnson’s try to beat England txt Sm9 to 455
10. All Black Ryan Crotty's try against Ireland txt Sm10 to 455
Everyone who votes in the New Zealand Favourite Sporting Moment award goes in the draw to win a trip for two including flights and accommodation to the 51st Halberg Awards at the Vector Arena, Auckland on Thursday 13 February 2014.
Visit www.sportingmoments.co.nz to read the competition terms & conditions.
Most popular News:
Benji Marshall released by New Zealand Rugby and Blues23.Apr.2014
Hickey to direct Blues against Waratahs23.Apr.2014
NZU20 squad named for IRB JWC201423.Apr.2014
Mallett: South African teams are not performing22.Apr.2014
Cotter's style wins praise22.Apr.2014
Baby Boks name squad for JWC201422.Apr.2014