Finding Springbok tradition fuelled Cup win - Visagie

GettyImages 969759284 v2

That is the view of former Springbok prop Cobus Visagie after South Africa beat England 32-12 in Yokohama.

 

While the amount of kicking, and lack of movement of the ball out wide, had been a criticism of South Africa's winning style, Visagie said in an interview with Netwerk24 that it had been a 'truly South African recipe'.

 

"My frustration for the past 20 years was that the Springboks weren't coached in line with their strong point of dominant forward play.

 

"For too long we've tried to copy the Australians and New Zealanders," Visagie said.

 

Visagie, who played 29 Tests between 1999-2003, said coach Rassie Erasmus' decision to pick six forwards on the bench meant he was able to replace one tight five with another.

 

"Our coaches were innovative and worked out a strategy best suited to our weaponry. Coaches around the world would relish working with South Africa's big and athletic forwards," he said.

 

 

"If your tight five dominate to such an extent, then it creates opportunities. That's why Duane Vermeulen [No8] and Faf de Klerk [halfback] looked so good. You play a different type of game if you're 100 percent certain of the platform you're getting."

 

Now England-based after playing more than 100 games for Saracens after ending his Test career, Visagie takes an interest in the English game.

 

He said South Africa's scrum dominance in the Cup final was no surprise to him. The loss of [tighthead] Kyle Sinckler early in the game had seen replacement Dan Cole play nearly all the match.

 

"I've always been of the opinion that [England loosehead] Mako Vunipola and Sinckler were vulnerable in the scrums. Cole has been a strong scrummager for long, but suffered a neck injury a while back and has never been the same since," he said.

 

Meanwhile, speculation is mounting in South Africa that former Springbok and Bulls first five-eighths Morne Steyn may be sighted in Investec Super Rugby again next season.

 

Steyn, 35, signed off his career with Stade Français on Saturday and will return to Loftus Versfeld who go into the new season, with their opening game against the Blues on February 22, without World Cup winning first five-eighths Handré Pollard, who is to play for Montpellier.

 

Such has been the turnover in the Bulls camp that no player who was part of the starting side when Steyn last played, in 2013, remains in Pretoria. The other first five-eighths in the side is former SA Under-20 player, Manie Libbok, 22.

LATEST NEWS

View all