NZR General Manager Professional Rugby & Performance Chris Lendrum said NZR was still hoping that the eagerly-anticipated match could be played at Eden Park, Auckland, on Saturday August 29, but was also making contingency plans to play the match at SKY Stadium in Wellington instead on the same day.
The squads for the Steinlager North v South match will be announced at midday tomorrow and were due to assemble in Auckland on Monday next week.
"With Auckland at Alert Level 3 until midnight on Wednesday 26 August, the squads will now assemble in Wellington to prepare for the match.
"New Zealand Rugby is currently working through the Government's normal exemption process to seek approval for the Auckland-based players and management to assemble in Wellington from next Monday.
"A final decision on the venue for the match will be made following the Government's review of Covid-19 levels on Friday," Lendrum said.
In the event that the match can't go ahead in Auckland, ticket holders will be refunded.